Hosted by The Space Between

Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Sunday Post #2



Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted  @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme


I've made it to week two! Last week I promised (threatened?) to tell you about a challenge that I'm currently hosting, and one that I'm thinking of hosting. Here goes!


The Award Winning Science Fiction

 and Fantasy Reading Challenge


Last year I attended my very first World Con - The World Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention, because it happened to be right here in my area! I really didn't know what to expect, and I got a whole lot more than I bargained for! So many authors I have long heard of, 5 Awarded Grand Masters (Connie Willis, Robert Silverberg, Larry Niven, Joe Haldeman and James Gunn) all in one room, talking about their careers and experiences, not to mention a slew (a literal slew, that's a measurement, right?) of other familiar and beloved names, Scott Lynch, Gail Carriger, JOHN SCALZI! (OMG OMG OMG *flails* *whispers* I got to meet to John Scalzi!) George R. R. Martin (OMG! GRRM! Out on his own, walking around the place, I wasn't sure at first that it was him, BUT IT WAS!) and many more!  Needless to say I was very excited about the whole thing and a little intimidated once the reality of what we were doing hit me. We were going to see the Hugo Awards, live! Also, there were astronauts!  REAL ones!  There was also some tiara wearing, by one of the astronauts, the male one! And he looked very regal too! It was so much fun!

All of this greatness in one place made me realize that while I had grown up knowing many of the great names of Science Fiction and Fantasy, I hadn't read too many of their books, and what a great focus for a challenge!  And so I came up with the idea of  The Award Winning Science Fiction and Fantasy Challenge including the Grand Masters, the Hugo winners and nominees, because if you've made it far enough to be a nominee for any of these big awards, it must still be a great book even if it doesn't win, along with the other big Sci-Fi and Fantasy Awarded books and their nominees.

It's still open to join, it runs all year, I award prizes each quarter, and if you sign up by July 31st you'll be eligible for the third quarter prizes!  If this sounds at all interesting to you, please come check it out! Here are the rules and sign up, and also a link to the pages of reviews that we've read so far this year!



Read the Rainbow Challenge

And now a teaser for the challenge I'm thinking of hosting, if I don't talk myself out of it, starting July 1st:


I'm still working on the details, but it was inspired by how we like to do Book Spine Rainbow pictures as read-a-thon challenges, they are always so pretty, what if we make the challenge to pick out a rainbow and read those books? I want to make it accessible to e-book readers as well, so I need to decide how we'll present our rainbow of books, because there will have to be pictures of course (spines, or a collage of covers is what I'm thinking)! What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Or if you know that someone is already doing this, please let me know, I don't want to encroach on an already established challenge!


Last Week on The Space Between



COYER


And I reviewed:





Coming This Week on The Space Between



I'll be reviewing:


I think this cover is just beautiful!

And I'll be posting my June edition of My To Be Read List, hosted by Michelle @ Reading is Better than Real Life, where you get to help me chip away at my TBR pile by voting on what I should read next!

Added to the TBR Pile

Kindle Freebies still at available as of 7:00 pm Central 5/27/17


Netgalley

Netgalley

US Kindle Freebie

US Kindle Freebie


See you next week! 




6 comments:

  1. If you need help brainstorming the challenge you should as the girls in the COYER group they might have some ideas that will help you with ideas for the challenge. :)
    WorldCon sounds fun, I wish they has more cons around by us. I wanted to do ComicCon but I think it's already sold out. Glad you had fun!

    I hope you have a great week, Shaunesay! Happy Reading!ox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww man...I really want to go to a World Con someday!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of your Sci-Fi Challenge! I'll have to check it out. And I've never been to Worldcon although I'd like to, I've been to other cons but to see all the big names like that in one place would be very cool. :)

    Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. World Con sounds amazing. Nothing ever happens close enough for me to attend. Maybe someday! Enjoy your new books and have a fun holiday weekend.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:27 PM

    World Con sounds cool...and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your books sound wonderful. I read a couple of books from the Alice Kimberly series. I have to get back to reading it. I enjoyed the ones I read. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...