Hosted by The Space Between

Saturday, January 02, 2016

My To Be Read List - January 2016 - Classic Sci-Fi



And the Winner is.....



 I'll be honest, I wanted this one to win, though I am still interested in the others.  I have seen the movie, which I realize is probably a lot different than the book.  I was able to check out the audio from our library, which will help a lot because once again I've overestimated how fast I can read! lol!

******************

Welcome to my January 2016 edition of My To Be Read List, hosted by Michelle @ Because Reading. This is a monthly meme where we offer up 3 choices from our TBR pile for our readers to pick from to help us make the super hard decision of "what do I read next?" a little easier and to whittle away at the ever growing TBR Mountain! 

Theme: Classic Sci-Fi - My husband and I are both voracious readers, but sometimes have very different tastes.  I asked him to pick 3 books he'd like me to read.  Feel free to leave me a comment and tell me what you chose and why.

The poll will stay open through Friday 1/8 , and I'll update this post with the winning book on Saturday 1/9, then post a review on the last Saturday of the month, 1/30.

If you think this sounds fun and would like to join (the more the merrier, because we love voting!) please head on over to Because Reading where Michelle lays out the rules for us!

And the choices are...




From Goodreads:

NAME: Valentine Michael Smith
ANCESTRY: Human
ORIGIN: Mars

Valentine Michael Smith is a human being raised on Mars, newly returned to Earth. Among his people for the first time, he struggles to understand the social mores and prejudices of human nature that are so alien to him, while teaching them his own fundamental beliefs in grokking, watersharing, and love.

From Goodreads:

The three laws of Robotics:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2) A robot must obey orders givein to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

With these three, simple directives, Isaac Asimov changed our perception of robots forever when he formulated the laws governing their behavior. In I, Robot, Asimov chronicles the development of the robot through a series of interlinked stories: from its primitive origins in the present to its ultimate perfection in the not-so-distant future--a future in which humanity itself may be rendered obsolete.

Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, and robots with a sense of humor. Of robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world--all told with the dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction that has become Asmiov's trademark.
From Goodreads:

Simak's "City" is a series of connected stories, a series of legends, myths, and campfire stories told by Dogs about the end of human civilization, centering on the Webster family, who, among their other accomplishments, designed the ships that took Men to the stars and gave Dogs the gift of speech and robots to be their hands.


#MyTBRL

20 comments:

  1. I voted for Asimov. I don't read this genre of books, but I do hope you enjoy whichever one wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with City that just sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asimov. If you like this genre I Robot is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted for City. I thought it sounded interesting! Hope you enjoy whatever wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I voted for City as a story told from the point of view of dogs sounds very itneresting. I hand't heard of any of these before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heinlein. I always recommend this one when given the opportunity, and I reread it every few years for new insights.

    It hasn't failed me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heinlein. I always recommend this one when given the opportunity, and I reread it every few years for new insights.

    It hasn't failed me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went for I, Robot. It's a while since I've read it but I remember it being fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went with I, Robot. I really don't read a lot of sci-fi, but I do recognize Asimov's name and I think starting with short stories might be more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my husband's favorite authors is Heinlein and he convinced me to give a few of his books a try several years ago. I quite liked A Stranger in a Strangeland. It was so different than my usual reading.

    Some day I would like to read I, Robot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, Robot gets my vote because it's a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to read I, Robot but I've always been too wimpy to give it a go. I picked I, Robot so that I can hopefully live vicariously through you. XD

    ReplyDelete
  13. I voted for Stranger in a Strange Land. I hope whichever book wins, you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I must have missed yours cause I don't think I voted so I hope you enjoy that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you LOVE I, Robot, Shaunesay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you'll enjoy I Robot! Didn't Will Smith play in that movie? I haven't seen it, so I'm not sure...
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. I voted for I, Robot so I'm excited that it won. Hope its just as awesome as the movie was :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I voted for the Robot one and the dog. I hope you enjoy the one that won! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I voted for the winner. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad that this one won! And no, the book and the movie are nothing alike. I hope you end up liking it!

    Vonnie's reveal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...