Hosted by The Space Between

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Undeniable by Bill Nye

"Evolution is one of the most powerful and important ideas ever developed in the history of science. Every question it raises leads to new answers, new discoveries, and new smarter questions. The science of evolution is as expansive as nature itself. It is also the most meaningful creation story that humans have ever found."—Bill Nye

Sparked by a controversial debate in February 2014, Bill Nye has set off on an energetic campaign to spread awareness of evolution and the powerful way it shapes our lives. In Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, he explains why race does not really exist; evaluates the true promise and peril of genetically modified food; reveals how new species are born, in a dog kennel and in a London subway; takes a stroll through 4.5 billion years of time; and explores the new search for alien life, including aliens right here on Earth.

With infectious enthusiasm, Bill Nye shows that evolution is much more than a rebuttal to creationism; it is an essential way to understand how nature works—and to change the world. It might also help you get a date on a Saturday night.

Evolution is such a controversial subject. It seems to either make perfect sense to a person or the complete opposite. For the record, I'm on the side of evolution, it just makes sense to me, so in this case Bill was preaching to the choir. This was a fun listen for me because I enjoy science talk when the person lecturing is excited about their subject and can make it fun. Bill is well versed in doing exactly that having had his Bill Nye the Science Guy show, aimed at getting kids interested in science. He's conversational and humorous and just super excited about it! He also makes no bones about which side of the fence he's on, and what he thinks of those who are on the other side. I'm not sure how this would go over with someone who is undecided about evolution vs. creationism, but it certainly isn't going to change the mind of someone firmly on the Creationist side. Instead I think it would put them on the defensive and make them even more determined to fight their case. And lets face it, in most subjects where there are such opposing views that are passionately defended, neither side is going to change the mind of the other.

I'm going to say, if you're already on board, and want a fun science lecture packed with interesting information, definitely give it a listen since Bill narrates himself.  If you're undecided, still give it a listen and see what you think, and try to give Bill a pass for being not so diplomatic about the opposing side.  If you're firmly on the side of Creationism... well... I don't know, I'll have to leave that up to you. :)

Read/Listened to for the 2016 I Love Libraries Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I'm already on the side of Evolution as well, so I hadn't planned on reading the book, but since he narrates the audiobook, I definitely want to get it now. I loved his show when I was in high school, and the Boyfriend and I have been watching it on Netflix. I think it's still the best Science show for kids. I also watched the debate, and think he was the clear winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the main draw for me as well, that he read it himself. He's fun to listen to because he loves science SO MUCH! :D I actually didn't watch the debate, I know some people on the other side who felt Ken Hamm clearly won, so obviously the same way minds won't be changed, everyone probably felt their guy won. I may have to go watch it sometime, but I'm afraid it will just make me really frustrated, like watching the political debates of the opposite side!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...