Hosted by The Space Between

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Personal Reading Challenges

I took a break on reading challenges this year after a very "challenging" 2009, only signing up for reading Lynn Viehl's Darkyn series, and have been thinking ahead to next year. I'm going to be on the lookout for interesting hosted challenges, but have decided on a couple personal challenges. I don't think I will "host" these as I'm pretty sure I don't have a big enough following for that, but if anyone wants to follow along and challenge yourself similarly, I would love to hear about it!

The first one I've decided I will call the "Stranger Than Fiction" Challenge, and you guessed it, will be for non-fiction. This will definitely be a challenge for me, as I can count on one hand the number of non-fiction books I've read since leaving college, lo these mumble-mumble years ago. I'm going to make it easy on myself and just try to read 4, one per quarter, I think I can do that, but I won't hold my breath just in case!

The second one I am going to call the "Catching Up With Old Friends" Challenge, and will be reading books by authors that I would list among my favorites, but haven't read anything by in some time. I seem to be trying to keep up with the paranormal craze, losing touch with many of the authors that truly got me to be a reader in the first place! I'm going to try for 12 of those, 1 per month.

That doesn't sound too hard, right? 16 books out of the 100+ that I hope to read next year. I'm looking forward to picking out the books now that I've decided what I want to do, and I've created a separate page to keep track of them here.

So now, what challenges is everyone else interested in or hosting for 2011? I'd love to hear about them, and maybe join in some!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you brought up the topic. :) I've been thinking about next year and what challenges, if any, that I would sign up for. This year's a bust for me challenge-wise, due to moving cross-country. I never thought I'd get that behind.

    There are a couple that I wouldn't mind signing up for again, if their hostesses are still, well, hosting. I don't think I'm ready do any hosting myself, so I'd have to take your idea and "do my own thing". I've also looked into what reading challenges/groups Shelfari and Good Reads has, and I found one that had several options (monthly, quarterly, yearly, build-your-own) and I like that. Build Your Box Set Challenge sounds like a lot of fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...