Hosted by The Space Between

Monday, January 31, 2011

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H. P. Mallory

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble is the first book of the Jolie Wilkin's series, and also my first read for the Paranormal Romance Challenge that I have joined that is hosted by Bitten by Paranormal Romance. Also the first book that I read on my kindle app for Android! I have to say it's a little strange reading an entire book on such a small screen, but very convenient to have a book (or many) with you all the time. I do usually have a paper book with me all the time, but just in case I forget, I now have them on my phone! woohoo!

In honor of the release of her second novel in the Jolie Wilkins series, currently the kindle edition of Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble is still just $.99 at Amazon, so check it out! This is apparently a US only sale.

Jolie Wilkins owns a new age shop, which her best friend Christa helps her to run, where she performs psychic readings. Life is going pretty well, until Jolie sees a ghost, and a handsome stranger named Rand Balfour hires Jolie to do readings for him. She feels that she isn't making any headway, but Rand assures her that he is pleased and so they continue. He was testing her, because he wanted to hire her for the job of finding out who murdered the ghost that she saw earlier in her shop. During the job, Jolie accidentally discovers that she is able to bring back the dead. Once her power is realized, life can never be the same, and she becomes the focal point between factions that are about to go to war. The attraction between Jolie and Rand is undeniable, at least Jolie can't deny it, though Rand seems to try, claiming that it just would never work since he is her employer. His resolve is put to the test when Jolie is taken captive. There is also a sexy vampire in the mix, not to mention werewolves and faeries, all having to choose sides in the coming power struggle.

I will give this one a 3/5, I liked it, but I had some lukewarm feelings about the characters. I just couldn't bond with them, so while the story was fun, I'm not sure if I will continue the series. I really think that characters sometimes just speak to a person and other times they don't, and that's very much subjective to the reader, so give it a try!

For more information on the author and her books, check out her website!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...