Hosted by The Space Between

Thursday, January 30, 2014

KEEP GOING by Joseph Marshall III

From Goodreads:

Grandfather says this: "In life there is sadness as well as joy, losing as well as winning, falling as well as standing, hunger as well as plenty, bad as well as good. I do not say this to make you despair, but to teach you…that life is a journey sometimes walked in light and sometimes in shadow.”
 

Grandfather says this: "Keep going.”

When a young man’s father dies, he turns to his sagacious grandfather for comfort. Together they sit underneath the family’s cottonwood tree, and the grandfather shares his perspective on life, the perseverance it requires, and the pleasure and pain of the journey. Filled with dialogue, stories, and recollections, each section focuses on a portion of the prose poem "Keep Going” and provides commentary on the text.

Readers will draw comfort, knowledge, and strength from the Grandfather’s wise words—just as Marshall himself did.



I discovered this little book in our collection the other day as I was poking through our basement books as I often do, just to remind myself of what is there.  I didn't remember buying it, or even seeing it there before, but as my family is going through some difficulties right now it seemed that it may have appeared in front of me for a reason.  I chose to honor the sign, if that's what it was, and give it a read.

This is a gentle, down to earth book of encouragement.  It does not sugar coat reality but instead emphasizes the duality of all aspects of life and the importance of taking another step, no matter how weary you are, or how small that step is.  Life is difficult, and those steps will be hard, but you must keep going, and in facing down those storms, you will gain strength.

I found this quick video of the author reading the introduction to the book which summarizes with a beautiful oration.  I know I will enjoy listening to it many times, and look forward to reading more of the author's work.

Website of Joseph Marshall III





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...