Hosted by The Space Between

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Best reads of 2013

May I recommend these to you? Good, because I just did! These were not published in 2013, but books I read during the year. There is a mixture here, non-fiction, teen paranormal/urban fantasy and dystopian, dark fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction/romance. Also, many are not the first of their series, but series that I have really enjoyed and in my opinion well worth getting into!





Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain -I already knew I was an introvert, but Susan Cain explains it in a way I never could.  It was fantastic!

Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey - (#2 of Phaedre's Trilogy) - So much happens to Phaedre, adventure and intrigue out the wazoo! 

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi (revamp of a classic, Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper) I recommend reading both for contrast.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (#6 of Outlander) - *sigh* I'm so excited for the show on Starz!

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - this man can make anything interesting and fun.  This was more than the facts and figures you're used to, it provided personality and a lot of side facts that you haven't heard before!  The audio was very enjoyable, the reader was perfect!

Killbox by Ann Aguirre (#4 Sirantha Jax) - The first book of this series put Ann Aguirre firmly in my list of favorites.  I was lucky enough to meet her this year too! *squee*

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (#1 The Raven Cycle) - I was really taken in by this story, my first book by Maggie Stiefvater, I'm looking forward to more!

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr (#5 Wicked Lovely) - The last book in this beautiful series of scary faeries. 

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (#2 Divergent) - The dystopian genre is fascinating and horrifying at the same time.  I've heard mixed reviews of #3, and I know why, but I'm still interested to see how it turns out, and to see the movie of Divergent later this year.

Dead Men's Boots by Mike Carey (#3 Felix Castor) - Dark and sarcastic, Felix "Fix" Castor is an exorcist/detective who gets in all kinds of trouble.  Luckily he has some supernatural help. 

And now let's get started on 2014, may all your reads be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...