Friday, October 11, 2013
Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon
Dewey's is here again! For 24 hours we're going to read and read and read! I've got my book pile below with many more than I could get through but I like to have options! My main goal is to finish Ironside, and if possible Something Deadly This Way Comes, but I may have to take breaks from those and so I have a few shorter easier books to choose from. Like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! Who doesn't love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle?! Oops, am I showing my age? Probably, but we'll see if I love it just as much now as I did in grade school, lo these *mumble mumble* years ago...
8:30 AM for me, and an hour and a half into the Read-a-thon. My cat alarm made sure I didn't oversleep, and not really being ready to be up and around after hitting snooze on him (read: Fed the kitty!) I decided to start in on a kindle book, so I could read in bed without the light on. I chose The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and I'm about 29% done.
Hour 1 Mini Challenge:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Kansas, US
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I think Something Deadly This Way Comes, and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, because it's been so long since I read it when I was a kid, I'm interested to see how it measures up to my memories.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I have two tubs of cookie dough in the fridge, so there will be cookies, oh yes, there will be!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I like Geocaching, playing Guild Wars 2, and am addicted to read-a-thons!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I'm not sure how many times I've participated now, it's been a few years, I think I do it differently every time. I'm considering an energy drink for those afternoon hours when I get so sleepy, I've never done that before, so we'll see.
And now, back to the reading! See you later!
I can't believe we're almost done with hour 5! I've finished my first book, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer so I now have an official page count! Woohoo! 178 pages! I'm munching on some chocolate peanut butter Pop Tarts with milk and they are tasty! Next up is Something Deadly This Way Comes by Kim Harrison.
So errands and lunch had to happen, but I managed to get 100 pages into Something Deadly even so! I'll keep going on that one and see what happens for dinner. Also, cookies have not yet happened, but a raspberry white mocha has, so yay! Hope everyone is doing great!
Well it took me what seems like all day, but I finished my second book! 245 more pages, so I'm up to 423 pages total. Now it's time for the traditional read-a-thon BBQ feast for dinner, and a computer game break. It's time to switch to some shorter reads now. I need to visit some other folks too. Also, thank you to the Cheerleaders! I have done it myself before so I know it's a fun but also hard job.
I just loved Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle when I was a kid, so when I saw them at Half Price Books I had to snatch them up! Just finished the 1st one as my 3rd read-a-thon and I have to admit, they are still fun! She can just cure any childish bad habit! Well, I think this does it for me for this year's Read-a-thon. My total page count is 542 and 3 books! Thanks again to the organizers and the cheerleaders, you all rock!
Other Read-a-thoners Visited:
Frodo's Blog of Randomness
Azuki's Book Cafe
Sarah Says Read
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck from Team Panda!ReplyDelete
Oooo, Mercedes Lackey! I love her 500 Kingdoms books.ReplyDelete
Enjoy your cookies and reading today!
Woo Hoo! I finally finished my 1st book. Thanks for stopping in earlier this morning. I will catch up with you in a bit.ReplyDelete
Hey thanks for visiting!!ReplyDelete
I volunteered at the library specifically for their annual book sale. it's mostly sorting books. Each time we volunteer we get some free books! So of course I will work for books...
Keep going w the reading!!
Way to go! I've read one (teeny tiny book) and finished another that I'd started, and I love the feel of accomplishment when you can knock a title off your list. Keep up the good reading!ReplyDelete
I thought I had left a comment earlier. I can't believe it is hour 9 already. Hope things are going well!ReplyDelete
Oh, nice picks. And I like to have an unreasonable number of books in my stacks so that my mood will fit a perfect match as the reading day goes on. Hope you're enjoying the pages that you're turning. (I'm cheering for you from Team Panda!)ReplyDelete
Hope you are still reading. :) #teampandaReplyDelete
Hoping your readathon has gone as planned and that pages are flying. #teampandaReplyDelete