Hosted by The Space Between

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mount Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark

I admit that I have not read any of Mary Higgins Clark's other numerous novels, but I am interested in early American history, so this caught my eye. As the book opens, George Washington is getting ready to leave office as President. He is tired and ready to go home to Mount Vernon with his wife Martha, called Patsy. We glimpse his story from the time he is a young man until his time as President through recollections of the important events in his life. There isn't a cherry tree to be found in this story! Clark has made him a very real person, from his unaffectionate mother, to his unrequited love for the wife of a good friend, to the solid and steadfast love he finds with Patsy. This focuses less on the famous moments of his life, and more on the man, his feelings, and his constant struggle to find happiness.

I was interested to find out that this biographical novel was the first for Clark, and I do wish she had written more historical novels in the same vein. Maybe she will again. And maybe I'll even pick up one of her more popular mysteries, having now enjoyed this story! I definitely recommend it to American history fans, it is a quick and enjoyable read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I read this a few years back and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...