Hosted by The Space Between

Saturday, November 07, 2015

My To Be Read List - November 2015 - Cat Detectives



And the winner by a landslide is... (drumroll)


Check back in a few weeks to see what mischief Owen, Hercules and I have gotten ourselves into this time!  Oh, and Kathleen too, we'll let her come along! ;)
 
**************************************************

Welcome to my November 2015 edition of My To Be Read List, hosted by Michelle @ Because Reading. This is a monthly meme where we offer up 3 choices from our TBR pile for our readers to pick from to help us make the super hard decision of "what do I read next?" a little easier and to whittle away at the ever growing TBR Mountain! 

Theme: Cat Detectives. Feel free to leave me a comment and tell me what you chose and why.

The poll will stay open through Friday 11/13 , and I'll update this post with the winning book on Saturday 11/14, then post a review on the last Saturday of the month, 11/28.

If you think this sounds fun and would like to join (the more the merrier, because we love voting!) please head on over to Because Reading where Michelle lays out the rules for us!

And the choices are...

 From Goodreads:

Midnight Louie, the best tomcat in the crime-solving business, and his human partner, petite redheaded publicist Temple Barr, are once again in the thick of things in the city of sin. The manager of the Crystal Phoenix, one of Las Vegas's premier vacation spot, has hired Temple Barr to help clean up the hotel's image, but soon more than the Phoenix's reputation is in danger. The phoenix becomes prey to mysterious saboteurs whose little pranks just happen to keep endangering Temple's life.

When Temple tangles with ex-priests, local police, FBI agents, obnoxious reporters, and a passel of semi-reformed mafiosi who wear pastel zoot suits, it's up to Midnight Louie to get her out of knot....before it's too late.

From Goodreads:

Curiosity just might be the death of Mrs. Murphy--and her human companion, Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen. Small towns are like families: Everyone lives very close together. . .and everyone keeps secrets. Crozet, Virginia, is a typical small town-until its secrets explode into murder. Crozet's thirty-something post-mistress, Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen, has a tiger cat (Mrs. Murphy) and a Welsh Corgi (Tucker), a pending divorce, and a bad habit of reading postcards not addressed to her. When Crozet's citizens start turning up murdered, Harry remembers that each received a card with a tombstone on the front and the message "Wish you were here" on the back. Intent on protecting their human friend, Mrs. Murphy and Tucker begin to scent out clues. Meanwhile, Harry is conducting her own investigation, unaware her pets are one step ahead of her. If only Mrs. Murphy could alert her somehow, Harry could uncover the culprit before the murder occurs--and before Harry finds herself on the killer's mailing list.
From Goodreads:

Small-town librarian Kathleen Paulson gets plenty of entertainment from her extraordinary cats, Owen and Hercules. But when a theatre troupe stumbles into more tragedy than it bargained for, it’s up to Kathleen to play detective....

With her sort-of boyfriend Marcus calling it quits and her ex-boyfriend Andrew showing up out of the blue, Kathleen has more than enough drama to deal with—and that’s before a local theatre festival relocates to Mayville Heights. Now the town is buzzing with theatre folk, and many of them have their own private dramas with the director, Hugh Davis.

When Davis is found shot to death by the marina, he leaves behind evidence of blackmail and fraud, as well as an ensemble of suspects. Now Kathleen, with a little help from her feline friends Owen and Hercules, will have to catch the real killer before another victim takes a final curtain call.


#MyTBRL

23 comments:

  1. I love the cat theme! I voted for Final Catcall. I hope you enjoy whichever book wins. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with Final Catcall, Shaunesay, just because the title made me smile :) I hope you'll enjoy the book picked for you this month!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do all have cute titles! It's been a fun series so far!

      Delete
  3. Didn't realize there was so many cat detectives out there...lol. I went with Final Catcall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know, cats are good at getting themselves into trouble, so they might as well solve a mystery while they're there! ;) I love series where the cats are actual characters and not just cover art!

      Delete
  4. I went with Final Catcall. All I needed to see was librarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? What could be better than libraries and cats?!

      Delete
  5. I went with Final Catcall based on the cover :) I hope whichever one is picked you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute covers! I have a black and white Tuxedo cat myself like Hercules, I think Owen is the tabby, so I was drawn by the covers too!

      Delete
  6. I don't think I knew there were cat detective books! My mom would love these lol - she's on the verge of crazy cat lady ;) I went with Final Catcall but I hope you enjoy whichever wins !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pet peeve of mine is the fact that so many cozies use cats on the cover to sell the mystery, but the cat really has no role in the mystery what so ever! So I get really excited when I find mystery series where the cat is truly a character in them! There are several other series than these that I've seen, but so far these three are very cat-centric. The Carole Nelson Douglas series is great because Louie has his own chapters where he's talking like a Noir detective, he calls Temple his Doll, it's hilarious! Final Catcall, so far in that series the cats are still cats, they don't talk or anything, but they do have mysterious powers and help her find clues. We still haven't found out why they have powers, but I'm sure that's coming. I haven't started the Sneaky Pie series yet, but it has always sounded so cute to me! And of course, Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who series is classic, again, still cats, but they usually help him find clues, or give him ideas. So I would highly recommend them all if you think she would like some cat mysteries!

      Delete
  7. Oh these all sound fun and I like how they all have the cat detective aspect. I voted for Cat in a Crimson Haze as I like how they did the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chose Wish You Were Here. I have read several in that series and I love the snarkiness of the cat narrator. The other two sound really good, but I am ignoring them, because I really don't need any more books on my TBR! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoy that series, I really do want to read it, it sounds like a lot of fun!

      Delete
  9. I voted for Brown's book because I have several of those and have yet to read any of them. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've had them for years and they sound really fun, I just haven't ever gotten around to them!

      Delete
  10. I chose Final Catcall because I couldn't resist the cattiness. Meow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm definitely a cat lover, in case you couldn't tell! ;)

      Delete
  11. I chose Final Catcall. Love the idea of cat detective books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a huge cat person but I like animal cozies...lol. I can't remember which one I voted for so enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the one I picked :) I just love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope its a good read
    http://worthreadingit.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-tbr-list-november-2015-and-winner-is.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...