Hosted by The Space Between

Monday, November 30, 2015

Judging by the Cover #1 - Artist: Scott M. Fischer

Welcome to my new feature, Judging by the Cover, where I will showcase some of my favorite artists that I've discovered through book cover art.
 
For my very first edition, I'd like to introduce you to Scott M. Fischer.  I discovered a favorite new author thanks to his cover art drawing my eye. That book was Grimspace by Ann Aguirre and his portrayal of Sirantha Jax, wild hair, desparate, crazed, broken but still trying expression, became how I pictured her in my mind as I read. I love the color contrasts he chooses, and the circular elements in the background, it all fits together to make the piece seem in motion to me. Killbox was another great cover in that series, really I loved them all, but those two are the ones that depicted the Sirantha Jax that I saw as I read Ann's fantastic story.

Scott's also done some Middle Grade and Children's books, as well as working with some well known clients we all know and love!  You can follow him on Facebook where he's been sharing some of his recent work, comic book covers for Dark Horse's Angel and Faith series, and also some beautiful paintings on metal.  Check out his official website HERE.

Let me know what you think!  Do you have favorite artists? Have you discovered authors by the cover art for their novels? 




2 comments:

  1. Ooo I'm a total Judge a book by the cover type girl. I pick out almost all of my reads based on cover (I never read blurbs). So good cover art is crazy important to me. I don't know that I've ever followed one particular artist for them but I'm sure if I looked it up I'd start to see some trends.

    I've got this series on my tbr pile. Yup. Because of the covers. lol He really has a unique style to them :) Congrats on your new feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love cover art, and while I do read blurbs, it's the cover art that first draws my attention, so it stands to reason I'm attracted to certain elements of their style, and I do find myself being attracted to covers by some of the same artists. Michael Whelan was probably one of my first artists that I noticed it with, who did the Anne McCaffrey dragon book covers.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...