Hosted by The Space Between

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Armchair BEA - Introduction

Hello!  I'm so excited that you're visiting me!  This is my first Armchair BEA so I'm still trying to figure out what it's all about.

I don't often post pictures of myself, but I thought an introduction post was the place, so there I am, right over there!  That was one of my better hair days, it's rarely that well behaved! ;)

It's question time!
Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from?

My name is Melissa though I go by Shaunesay or Shaunie in the blog/internet world.  It seemed like a good idea at the time!  I'm an Inventory Analyst in the real world, and a book junkie the rest of the time.  Well, all the time really, I mean with all the smart devices we have and library apps, I can sneak a page in now and then!  According to my post history, I've been actively blogging since 2008, wow!  I originally started it to follow a friend, and didn't really do much with it for quite awhile.  Then I discovered book blogs, and finally knew what to use the silly thing for!  I'm coming to you from the Bread Basket of the US, Sunflowery Kansas!

What genre do you read the most? I love to read because ___________________ .

Lately I've been reading Urban Fantasy the most, but I'm also a fan of Romance, Mystery, Historical Fiction, Fantasy and Science Fiction.  Non-Fiction is my least read category, but there are a few that I've found to be fantastic!  I love to read because it adds another dimension to my life, allowing me to have adventures I would never otherwise have, and travel to places I'll most likely never go, in times that are past, never were, or are yet to be. 

What was your favorite book read last year? What’s your favorite book so far this year?

This is such a hard question!  I think I'll have to go with Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey for my favorite book this year so far, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon for last year, though I could easily recommend so many more!




Spread the love by naming your favorite blogs/bloggers (doesn’t necessarily have to be book blogs/bloggers).

There are so many great blogs out there that I admire!  I am so intermittent in my blogging, I can only imagine the time they put in on them!  Here are just a few that I enjoy:


My Shelf Confessions

 
West of Mars

Amberkatze's Book Blog

All Things Urban Fantasy


    Share your favorite book or reading related quote. 

    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”

    George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

    “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” 


    Thanks again for stopping by!  Have a great week!

    23 comments:

    1. Good to meet you! I love your curly hair! I pay big bucks to try and make mine look like that, but it really never works. Have fun this week!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nice to meet you too! Thanks so much! I hear the same thing from my family, we think the curly hair may have come from my paternal grandmother, but then I've heard it's passed through the mother's side, so who knows! It's here to stay though, and has a mind of it's own!

        Delete
    2. it's my first Armchair BEA as well.
      And I should try reading something by Carey, so many people love her books.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have only read the first three so far and they are doorstoppers, and very involved, and brutal and emotional. I really have to be in the mood for them, but they are very good! Enjoy your week!

        Delete
    3. Anonymous6:19 AM

      I have put of reading Diane Gabaldon for too long. I just had someone rave over A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It really is one of my favorite series of all time. I guess if I had answered the deserted island question, one of the Outlander books would have had to go with me, the question is which one?

        Delete
    4. Anonymous8:45 AM

      Oh my...LOVE your picture, thanks for sharing it. And I oh so hear you on the book junkie part, lol. We have so many options for feeding the need for books! Enjoy your week with Armchair BEA! I may seriously have to remove the "!" from my computer.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I'm always self conscious about posting pictures, but figured what the heck, since it was an introduction and all. They rarely come out that well. lol! I know what you mean on the "!" I seem to use it all the time myself!

        Delete
    5. Sometimes I forget about nonfiction as a genre in it's own right. I am starting to read more nonfiction, but it still does not get nearly enough love.

      Lisa @Just Another Rabid Reader

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I agree with you, I rarely read it, for some reason I just can't get in to it the same way I can fiction, though last year I listened to two very good ones. Audiobooks seem to be the key for me and non-fiction, especially when the reader is good. I've heard Malcolm Gladwell is very good, so I may try to listen to one of his soon.

        Delete
    6. I read quite a variety of genres as well and just like you non-fiction is my least favourite. I really like Kimba her Caffeinated Reviewer blog as well and always take part in her Sunday Post :). This is also my first Armchair BEA and so far I am really enjoyed it :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have to skip around in genre's, or when I'm reading more than one book at a time, make sure they are in different genres. lol! Maybe try listening to some non-fic, that seems to work better for me, not as much work maybe? Have a great week! Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    7. Happy to see you're doing this, Shaunesay. And really great to know that you like the Diana G series--I am trying to get into Outlander, myself.
      Great to see you, outside of Facebook and BookObsessed!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do love the Outlander series, and can't wait for the show on Starz! August 9th! It looks like it will be really good, *fingers crossed* I have a couple of friends who just can't get into it, so it's not for everyone. Good to see you too! :D

        Delete
    8. I agree. There are so many great blogs out there, I couldn't even begin to tackle that question.

      I also don't read non-fiction as much as I would like. Or maybe it would be better to say that I read it very differently. Depending on what it is, I don't find there is as much urgency to finish it. I did very well (surprisingly) with the non-fiction book I listened to on audio.

      Enjoy your first Armchair BEA. The week promises to be a lot of fun.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I've decided that listening to non-fic is the key for me, then I can enjoy a performance I guess, and it's not as much work to keep listening as it is to force yourself to keep reading. Thank you for stopping by!

        Delete
    9. Great post! Nice to visit your blog. I love urban fantasy also

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for stopping by! There is so much great urban fantasy out there!

        Delete
    10. Hi Shaunie! Nice to meet you. This is my first Armchair BEA as well. I'm more of a YA fiction reader, but I'm always looking for some good adult fiction.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hello! I actually read quiet a bit of YA fiction too, I just didn't think to list it as it's own genre. I really never would have thought that Dystopian would be for me, but apparently it is! Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    11. George can sure write a mean quote! Those are two of my favorites, of course.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He does have a way with words, and I'm so glad he gives such good ones to Tyrion, you know? ;)

        Delete
    12. Great meeting you. I have to read the Outlander series.... and a couple of your fave blogs are mine too. :-)

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...