Hosted by The Space Between

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Midnighters #1: The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld

From Goodreads:

Nobody is safe in the secret hour.

Strange things happen at midnight in the town of Bixby, Oklahoma.

Time freezes.

Nobody moves.

For one secret hour each night, the town belongs to the dark creatures that haunt the shadows. Only a small group of people know about the secret hour -- only they are free to move about the midnight time.

These people call themselves Midnighters. Each one has a different power that is strongest at midnight: Seer, Mindcaster, Acrobat, Polymath. For years the Midnighters and the dark creatures have shared the secret hour, uneasily avoiding one another. All that changes when the new girl with an unmistakable midnight aura appears at Bixby High School.

Jessica Day is not an outsider like the other Midnighters. She acts perfectly normal in every way. But it soon becomes clear that the dark creatures sense a hidden power in Jessica . . . and they're determined to stop her before she can use it.


A very interesting idea, a 25th hour where only certain people are awake and aware, and a whole different set of creatures are in existence. I liked the storyline the most, I couldn't really get in touch with the characters. I did really like Dess and her Polymath talent, and the names she would give to her weapons, that was a fun idea. I'm actually glad I read this one after having read Westerfeld's Uglies and Leviathan series. His character development has really gotten amazing, and while I enjoyed this one, I'm not sure I would have pursued more of his books if this had been my first one, and he's become one of my favorite authors. He's extremely versatile, each series I've read by him has been a completely different idea, in no way related to the others, so you never know what you're going to get, only that it will be great! I do recommend this one, the premise alone is worth it!

Scott Westerfeld seems very in touch and accessible to his fan base, and often features fan art and photos that have been sent to him on his blog and on Twitter. There are some recent Midnighter ones on there from last month. ScottWesterfeld.com

I can't wait to see what he comes up with next! In the meantime I have these older books to catch up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...