Hosted by The Space Between

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Vamped by David Sosnowski

I loved this book! It was a surprise, not because I didn't expect to like it, but because of how much I liked it. The concept sounded kind of silly, and in many ways it was, but there were serious heart tugging moments as well, and that was completely unexpected. So at the same time I'm laughing and shaking my head, I'm also thinking this guy gets it, and is somehow displaying it with this unlikely duo of vampire and little girl. It comes across as a strange mix of horror, chicklit and family drama, but it works!

Martin Kowalski is a vampire, just like everyone else. In fact, he's part of the reason that almost everyone else is a vampire, and he's getting bored with life. He begins taking chances, driving too fast, letting things fall out how they may, in fact, the night he finds Isuzu is the night he'd planned to possibly be his last. Everything changes when he decides to take her with him, at first as a test in delayed gratification, real humans are rare, and expensive. Somehow that delayed snack never happens, and instead Isuzu worms her way into his not-so-dead-as-he-believed heart. Somewhere along the line Martin stops being a predator and starts being a parent. Every day brings humor and horror in equal measure.

I gave this one a 5/5 because it was just so different and gripping. You're holding your breath along with Marty that this little girl is going to grow up and make it in a world where everyone views her as a tasty snack! I had to read many passages out loud to my husband because they were just too good! Sosnowski's first novel, Rapture sounds like an interesting read as well, so I will definitely be on the lookout for it!

This is my first read for the Horror and Urban Fantasy Challenge hosted by Book Chick City.

David Sosnowski on FantasticFiction.com

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very good. Off to add it to my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added this to my wish list too. Thanks Shaunie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...